Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Portfolio Letter

October 12, 2010



Laura Cline
Yavapai College
1800 Sheldon
Prescott, AZ 86301


Dear Mrs. Cline;
I’ve enjoyed English 102 at Yavapai College this semester.  I have found the use of electronic mediums one of the bigger challenges of class.  In part that comes from lack of familiarity with things like creating a blog or using a web cam.  By the same token, learning to participate as required using the web more efficiently has been a great reward. 

Though I had seen Tin O'Brien work “The Things They Carried” and perused the book once, I was unfamiliar with the other reading required in class.  That is, The Sand Storm by Sean Huze and “A Handmaidens Tail.” by Margaret Atwood.  Each book has had food for thought, and caused me to define or sort out issues they have brought up, that I had not considered before.  I have felt that I’ve been saturated in foul language after finishing the first two works.  While the argument can be made it is the vernacular of the settings, it is still "saturating."   By far I have been most affected by the poetry unit, in particular “Photograph on September 11. “   Not only did it strike a personal note with me, I enjoyed Szymborska simple style of writing.

I have had some formal writing experience, and limited literary analysis.   I hope to be quite comfortable with analysis by the end of the semester.  No doubt, because of the requirements of the class, helpful resources, and input, I will be.

Sincerely;
Mary Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment